Calling All Tax Paying Ladies of the Polis!

If you've ever entertained at a Symposium then this is the Blog for you!

Every day I'll be taking you through the ins and outs of (Gasp!) being a Hetaera in the big, bad city of Athens. If you're reading this from the courtyard of your husband's family home, then you have no idea what I'm talking about, but if you've been studying the fine art of entertaining men in Ancient Greece from 400 -300 B.C., then keep reading! Shoot Girl, You Know who you are!


Old School!

Old School!
Hetaera, Phintias Painter c. 510

20100330

Against Neaira!


Oh boy, do I have some gossip for you! I happened to run into Apollodoros this morning during my daily trip to the market, and he told me that Neaira was in court today. UH OH SPOILER ALERT!

Apparently, Stephanos isn't her rightful husband, but simply her LOVER. Well, apparently, her Patron and OWNER Phrynion (You'll remember the two were engaged in quite a scandal a few years back when they were caught having, eh hem, relations in public) has come back to Athens and is Claiming Neaira as his own property . According to Apollodoros, Phyrnion came to her house, where she resides with Mr. S and had several of his buddies help drag her away. Well, now she's in a pickle because she literally belongs to two men.

Apollodoros tells me that the court hasn't decided where the fault lies as of yet, but he says that if she loses, she'll be forced back into slavery with Phrynion.

Good Luck, Neaira! I hate to say it, but better you than me sister!

1 comment:

  1. I think Neaira needs a Sassy Gay Friend LOL!

    ReplyDelete